Sunday, May 26, 2013

Fondue-Style Cheese & Mushroom Omelet

Breakfast Idea
I'm always on the lookout for some new breakfast ideas. Last week, I posted about my Fondue Date Night that hubby and I had. While enjoying all that deliciousness, I thought the cheese would be a nice addition to an mushroom omelet. While my husband was at a men's church retreat last weekend, I decided to experiment with this by substituting the fondue style cheese in place of my traditional cheddar. Not the most healthy breakfast, but the result was a unique tasting omelet that opened up my taste buds to something new. Wow!

Ingredients (serves 1)
1 large mushroom, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
1 pat of butter
salt to taste
dash of Cholula hot sauce
1 Tablespoon fat free half and half
1/2 oz Swiss cheese, cubed
1/2 fontina cheese, cubed
Splash of sherry
Splash of good beer
1 large egg, beaten

In a small saucepan (I have this one little tiny pan from Wal-Mart I used), sautee the mushrooms on medium heat with the garlic and butter. Since mushrooms tend to get a bit watery, be sure to drain off any excess liquid from the mushrooms. Set aside and rinse the sauce pan. 
Breakfast Idea
In that same pan on medium heat, add the hot sauce, half and half, cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Blend in the sherry and beer. Then add in the chopped mushrooms and stir together. 

Place the beaten egg into a small non-stick sautee pan and cook until eggs are firm, flipping once. 
Breakfast Idea
Place the cheese mix on one half of the egg then fold the other half over. Slide onto a plate and serve. I had mine with some fresh orange slices. As I was enjoying the melty cheese and garlicky mushroom flavor of my omelet, I thought of many variations to this dish. Another successful adventure in the kitchen and thoughts of endless possibilities with this fondue recipe.
Breakfast Idea

Featured at Susie QT Pies Cafe Monday Menu Plan on June 10, 2013
Featured at the Law Student Cookbook June Pantry Party

Krups Breakfast Set 12-Cup Coffee Maker (Google Affiliate Ad)
Krups Egg Cooker (Google Affiliate Ad)
Rachael Ray Porcelain Ii Egg Poacher Plus (Google Affiliate Ad)

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I love omelets and even have my mom's 1970's omelet pan that I often use. Next time I'm at the store, I'm going to pick up the right kind of cheese and make this recipe! Caught you on Tuesday's Table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheese combination plus mushrooms sounds really good! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love omelets with mushrooms and cheese. This looks great! Pinned it! Thanks for linking up to Two Cup Tuesday on Pint Sized Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews