Sunday, February 5, 2012

PBS Cooking Shows Rock!!!

I don't have cable. Or Dish. Or DirecTV. We just get the ole rabbit ears with the local channels and the PBS and other independent stations. Saturday mornings, I grab a cup of coffee, sit down and watch the shows on KBYU and Create TV. Food Network is awesome, however I think a moment needs to be taken to pay tribute to these lesser known shows and chefs. Here are my favorites in no particular order:


Ciao Italia with Mary Ann Esposito. She takes Italian cooking to a new level. I love how she tells us the origin of types of pasta and how she puts her personality in every dish. I've tried her squash gnocchi and I will say it was everything I expected it to be when I saw her make it on the show.


BBQ University and Primal Grill both with Steven Reichlen. Talk about the grill master!!!  Although my husband has that title at home, Steven Reichlen is the master of the coals. He rocks! BBQ U gives many step by step instructions to make even the most "grill challenged" into a pro in no time. Primal Grill will have each episode focus on a particular food group or event, such as tailgating.


America's Test Kitchen is another gem on my Saturday mornings. The host Christopher Kimball is adorable in his bow tie and he keeps me engaged explaining recipes and food origins. They even have a segment dedicated to the latest gadgets which to me is like opening the Toys R Us holiday catalog. I do love my kitchen toys.


Nick Stellino Cooking with Friends is another gem. Nick has personality to go around! And his recipes are unique and so yummy. I've tried one or two and was delighted in the flavor and aroma. Check out his Cheese Stuffed Eggplant recipe and you will not be disappointed. 


Simply Ming with Ming Tsai will re-energize your taste buds. Asian cooking is not my speciality, but after watching a few of his shows, I'm ready to dive in with my chop sticks. I've picked up a few tricks such as weaving bacon in and around shrimp and veggies on a kabob and I'm also not so afraid of using ginger like I used to be. 


So, tune into your local PBS station and Create TV channel. You will be delighted and your taste buds will thank you.

2 comments:

  1. i so agree. PBS is my favorite and we have cable. In fact, I have decided to donate next time they have a pledge drive because we watch it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews