Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fresh Whole Wheat Pizza Crust


Pizza Recipe
About a year ago I received a WonderMill flour mill for a product review. I had never milled my own flour before, but go used to it very quickly. It's nice to purchase whole grain then make flour as needed instead of having a bunch of processed white flour sitting in my pantry. The best part is when you mill your own flour, you are getting the most nutrients since flour loses it's nutrients the longer it sits on a shelf.  I milled 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat grain to make enough flour for this recipe then some extra for dusting the pizza stone.
Pizza Recipe
With the flour mill, it's time to make a whole wheat from scratch pizza crust. There is a small pizza and sandwich place here in West Jordan, UT that I enjoy purchasing pizza from since they make a whole wheat crust. But now was time to make my own so out came the WonderMill and a crust was born.

This recipe is adapted from How Sweet Eats.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon dry active yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
Combine flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey, oil, Italian seasoning and garlic powder, mixing with a spoon to form into a ball. Continue mixing with your hands and kneed for about 60 seconds. Lightly oil bowl and add dough back in. Cover and let rise for 2-3 hours.
Pizza Recipe
After 2-3 hours, remove from bowl and punch down. Roll back into ball and let sit for 30 minutes.

Lay on lightly floured surface and roll very thin. Top with toppings and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

I just rolled out one pizza crust and it was a funky rectangular shape that reminded me of a map of the state of Illinois, lol. Hubby and I like different things on a pizza so we each topped our halves with something different. 
Pizza Recipe
He had fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese with a drizzle of srirracha sauce. 
Pizza Recipe
My half was vegetarian. I had fresh spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, capers and goat cheese.
Pizza Recipe
This was one delicious crust!! If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven while you're pre-heating it so it's nice and hot. It will give you a nice crispy crust. This crust was so good and I love the honey that was added to it. Next time, I will use small chunks of fresh garlic in my crust so it has that burst of flavor in every bite. Hubby loved his toppings but I think mine were better.
Pizza Recipe
What are your favorite toppings? Mine would be mushrooms, olives, spinach and goat cheese. I prefer a veggie pizza but a nice pepperoni works too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews