Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

Potato Casserole with Brown Sugar
I love baked sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries. So very good and lighter then a russet or even red potatoes. I was searching for a good sweet potato casserole recipe and most of them online (I'd say about 80%) call for mashing the potatoes. That wasnt' going to cut it for me for a casserole. After looking all over through my Cook'n Recipe Software, I created the following that was suitable for myself and wound up to be quite tasty.

Ingredients
3 sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup low fat margarine
114 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
12 ozs miniature marshmallow

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. I prefer Pam butter flavor for this dish as it enhances the flavor.  

3.  In a skillet melt the butter and blend in the brown sugar until dissolved. Add margarine, cinnamon and nutmeg.

4.  Layer the potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the brown sugar mix over the potatoes, then cover and bake for 45 minutes. If you sliced your potatoes thick, add 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. i sliced mine with my Pampered Chef Mandolin set on the thinner cut, so 45 minutes was enough


5.  Sprinkle the miniature marshmallows over the top and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown.

I served it with pork BBQ ribs and it was a perfect combination. The sweetness of the potatoes was the perfect pairing with the tangy flavor of BBQ and my husband was just thrilled.  In fact, here's his dessert: Sweet Potato Parfait

2 comments:

  1. I do not like mashed sweet potato at all, and I have been working on a deconstructed sweet potato casserole since I got married years ago. This looks like exactly what i have been trying to do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like mashed either... reminds me too much of baby food, lol. This recipe is very good. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews