Thursday, July 19, 2012

Grilled Artichokes

How do I Barbecue Artichokes
2 to 4 large artichokes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp of chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, oregano, and thyme
1 large garlic clove, minced.
Salt

Place chopped herbs in a small bowl, mix with half the garlic, olive oil and coconut oil. Microwave on high heat for 30 seconds. This will allow the herbs to really bloom in flavor in the oils while getting the artichokes prepared.

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. You can either cut the artichoke in half or quarter them. This time, I cut them in quarters for more of an appetizer then a side dish.  Cut off the stem and trip the top of the choke about a half inch.   

Place the artichokes in the water, add half the minced garlic and boil until just tender at the base. 
The artichokes should not be fully cooked since you will be cooking them on the grill. Allow them to cool down, then scoop out the fuzzy part and the prickly leaves on the inside.
Turn the grill to high heat. Use a pastry brush to brush the artichoke all over herb oil. Sprinkle with salt. Place the artichoke quarters (or halves) cut-side-down in a grill basket. I use Pampered Chef's. Cover, and grill for 5 to 10 minutes, until you have nice grill mark on the cut sides of the artichokes.
Serve alone or with a dip mix. I used a mix of Kraft Spicy Ranch dressing and sour cream. I had mine with a steak and some polenta with spinach and feta. 

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this as a side to steak - and I'm going to suggest my friends with a grill give this a go when the weather warms up a bit. This sounds awesome and thanks for sharing, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artichokes are my favorite veggie (which is why it's part of my signature, lol) and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. Grilled is amazing because you can do so much with it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews