Tuesday, September 11, 2012

WonderMill Review and Zuchini Bread Recipe



I was recently given the opportunity to review the new WonderMill
WonderMill
WonderMill Features:
•LIFETIME WARRANTY on milling heads and 6 years on the motor.
•3 texture settings.
•Quietest grain mill on the market.
•Fastest grain mill available, over 12 cups of flour in 3 min.
•Grinds from a fine pastry flour to a coarse flour.
•12 Cup Canister.
◦Doubles as storage container.
•Comes with storage lid for canister.
•Large 8 cup grain hopper.
•Made of the highest quality materials.
•Stainless steel Microburst milling chamber, which is self-cleaning.
•Powerful 1250 WATT motor (Largest in it's industry).
•No nutritional loss, gumming, jamming or glazing.
•Passes all electrical certifications.

You can learn a lot more by visiting their Website

Now onto the recipe. This was the first time ever that I have attempted to make bread from scratch. I've always been a bit intimidated by the whole process and have usually just stuck with a store bought mix and added an ingredient or two such as jalapenos to a corn bread mix, etc. Now I'm going to have a go at it AND mill my own flour in the process. Wow... that's a lot to take on for the first time!

I purchased wheat grain from Whole Foods earlier in the day. Can I just tell you how much I love their bulk foods section? It has everything a chef could dream of and it's mostly organic too. Since this was my first use of my WonderMill, I followed their suggestion of running 2 cups of grain through to remove any impurities that may have been there in the manufacturing process. It also gave me an idea of how it worked before I milled flour I was going to use for a recipe. Although it is the quietest mill out there, it still made enough noise to scare two of my cats. They scampered off as if they were being chased by a Great Dane! 
Wheat grain going into the hopper

Whole Wheat Flour, freshly milled!!
This recipe seemed simple enough. I found it on Food Network's website and it had ingredients I already had in my pantry. SCORE! No extra shopping for me. I did make one modification; I used my newly milled wheat flour instead of all-purpose.  Plus I got to use all my favorite Pampered Chef toys and the new hand blender my husband surprised me with a couple of months ago.  

Recipe:

butter 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 zucchinis (12 ounces)
2/3 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 tsp baking soda
fine salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. Trim the ends off the zucchini and grate on the large holes of a box grater. Because I had zucchini-zilla a friend gave me from her garden, I cut off a portion and weighed it on my food scale to make sure I was just using 12 ounces before grating it.  Toss the grated zucchini with 2 tablespoons sugar and place in a colander. Let stand 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, using a food processor, grind 1/4 cup of the almonds and set them aside. I had a bag of sliced raw almonds, so I used those. Roughly chop the remaining almonds and set those aside as well. I used my favorite Pampered Chef chopper and it took maybe a few seconds to get the consistency I wanted.  

Next, in a medium bowl, whisk the ground almonds with 1 cup flour, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt. For this recipe, I used my milled wheat flour rather then all purpose store bought flour.  In another bowl, whisk the remaining 2/3 cup sugar with the vegetable oil, eggs, honey, and vanilla until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.

Using your hands, firmly squeeze handfuls of the grated zucchini to remove excess water and add the drained zucchini to the batter along with the reserved chopped almonds and lemon zest. Stir a few times to incorporate into the batter and transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan.

Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and cool completely on the rack. Serve.

Look at how moist it is.



4 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the use of almonds and freshly ground wheat flour in this bread - so cool and I've definitely never tried either in zucchini bread! It looks so moist and I'm sure it was delicious as well... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly wish I could bake bread – I've never really had much success making bread, my hands just die too quickly during the kneading process!! But it looks like this is a no-knead bread, YAY! Will have to give it a try. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have arthritis in my hands so a knead-less recipe is always welcome. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews