Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Turkey Burgers with Fresh Cilantro Mayo

It's getting to be barbecue season and it's time to head outdoors and grill meals while enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine. As you can see, I've posted a few grilled recipes lately and I have so many more to come. I live in Utah, so even grill in the dead of winter, although it's not quite the same as sitting on the patio while the food is cooking.
 
I love burgers and try to shake things up a bit by making salmon burgers and turkey burgers. Today's recipe is for a grilled turkey burger on a whole wheat sandwich thin with sweet potato fries. What made this burger extra scrumptious is the addition of a freshly made cilantro mayo that complimented the lean turkey burger without drowning out the grilled flavor of the meat. I'm a huge fan of fresh cilantro so I was eager to try this out.
Cilantro Mayo
For the burger, I purchased nearly a pound of fresh ground turkey and formed it into patty's. For seasoning, I just added some salt and pepper to each side. Pretty basic seasonings. I did not think it needed much more as I did not want all the flavors to fight each other. We grilled them on the barbecue on medium heat until done, flipping as needed. Just before they were finished, we added a slice of medium cheddar cheese and allowed it to melt into some ooey gooey goodness.  We then added the mayo, put it on the sandwich thin and voila!! Dinner!

Here are the ingredients for the cilantro mayo:
  • 1 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1  large garlic clove, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon Great Value Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chalula Hot Sauce
  • 3/4 cup regular or low fat mayonnaise

Blend first 5 ingredients in processor until cilantro is finely chopped. Add mayonnaise and process just to blend. Transfer to small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Creamy and flavorful, this mayo had the aroma of fresh cilantro with a hint of heat with the Chalula sauce. It was perfect for the turkey burger and I think this would also be wonderful to baste onto some grilled salmon.

For nutrition informaton, please click the Magic button

8 comments:

  1. These look amazing. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. We also have a $50.00 Visa Gift Card Giveaway. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_26.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo delicious! {and I am yet to try sweet potato fries ;-) } Fortunately, our weather in SA permits us to use the BBQ area all year round, and sit outside! Thank you for sharing this recipe at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'd like to invite you to link up on Saturday Spotlight @ Angels Homestead today.

    http://angelshomestead.com/

    Hope to see you there :)

    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite. I'm all linked up :-)

      Delete
  4. This sounds yummy! Thanks so much for joining me at Two-Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. I hope to see ya again tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cilantro. I could put that mayo on everything. Thanks for sharing this one too. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews