Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Perfect Garlic Bread

How to make perfect garlic bread
Hubby cannot get enough garlic bread.... my garlic bread that is. He would devour it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner if I would let him. But, I do not. I think the secret to really good garlic bread is to use fresh roasted garlic, real butter and parsley. That's it. Three simple ingredients that creates mouth watering bread for everyone.
How to make perfect garlic bread
If you have never roasted a head of garlic before, you are in for a treat! I am going to share my simple recipe and you will have perfectly roasted garlic every time.

If you have a terra-cotta garlic roaster like I do, you want to take the dome portion and soak it in cold water while you are prepping your garlic. It helps the garlic stay moist while it is roasting.

Next, take a head of garlic and peel the skin off so that you only have one layer surrounding each clove. Then, cut the tips off each clove and set them on the roaster. Drizzle some olive oil on them so each clove is covered. So you now have each clove opened up with just enough skin on it to hold the olive oil. Sprinkle with parsley and bake in a garlic roaster. There are many roasters on the market but I found my cute little terra-cotta roaster at a thrift store for less then $5.00. I love thrift store treasure hunting.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (1 medium head of garlic) to an hour (1 large head, or 2 medium heads). I almost always roast two heads at a time since we use lots of garlic.
Once the heads are cooled a bit, squeeze 2-3 cloves of garlic out of their skins and mash them with the back side of a spoon. Add melted butter and parsley and mix well. Take your french bread and and cut them into portions. With just Hubby and I, an entire loaf of store bought fresh baked bread will last 4 meals (1 serving for each of us per meal.) I think a good ratio is 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 big clove of garlic per serving. So, if you're baking the entire loaf, that would translate to 8 servings for Hubby and myself but you may slice your servings smaller. It's up to you.
As you can see, I slice each serving in half, but not cutting all the way through. This makes it easier to pull apart rather then ripping them apart. Bake for 10 minutes at 350, then turn on the broiler to high and broil them for 2 minutes max. Broiling is fast so be sure to keep a close eye on your bread. This process will heat the bread through and also give you a nice golden bubbly top.
Look at how delicious that is! But, ignore the chip in my plate... we are sometimes hard on dishes. Using the roasted garlic rather then a garlic paste or fresh chopped garlic gives it an amazing flavor without being too strong. It's subtle, but you can still taste the garlicky goodness. Sometimes I also sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top, however I do not think that is absolutely necessary.

11 comments:

  1. How did you know how much I adore Garlic bread? I just learned how to roast garlic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I roasted garlic the other night and it was a disaster. How could that be? I decided it was the garlic! I agree with you that fresh roasted garlic does have great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love garlic! Awesome post!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.
    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-2.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day Weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for reminding me to roast garlic you are so right it is wonderful. Glad you brought this by foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love me some Garlic! This looks so delicious, I can almost smell it :-) Thank you for sharing at our All My Bloggy Friends party !

    Linda
    With A Blast

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, this is lovely. It would be great if you linked it to Food on Friday: Garlic. The showcases from this Food on Friday have not yet been selected. This link will take you to my home page where you will find a sidebar with links to all the different Food on Fridays. So that I know you have linked and can be sure to pin to the board I have for each one, please do leave a short comment. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Join us at 8:00PM tonight for this weeks party.
    Debi and Charly
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd make a meal on this alone! Thanks for joining us at Saturday Dishes, Pinned to Saturday Dishes board ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews