Sunday, August 4, 2013

#MeatlessMonday - Pineapple Deviled Eggs

#MeatlessMonday
Hubby and I belong to a wine club here in Utah. We have both been members since it's inception in October 2007 and we have met so many wonderful people in our club. The Utah Wine Club is a group within Meetup.com and we have get-togethers at people's houses or local restaurants and galleries. The requirement to attend is to bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer. Some of the events are themed, like the time we held an event for our parrot Bongo's 15th birthday (or Bird-day) party but most are just casual gatherings.

And it was at a Wine Club event in June 2009 that I met my husband. Pretty cool isn't it?

Anyway, as I said the members bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer. Our group used to bring the standard chips and dips but as the group grew the food got so much better and now members try to outshine each other. But we do it in a good way. Gone are the days of veggie trays and 5-layer taco dip. Now we have prosciutto wrapped melons, specialty cheeses and fruit trays, a cupcake tower, stuffed jalapenos and pulled pork nachos. I swear, I gain 10 pounds when I go to wine club... or is it 'food club' now?

For this outing, I wanted to make devilled eggs but wanted a lighter version and a different twist on this classic. Since the party was to be held outside in the early evening on a hot summer night, I wanted to do something with no mayonnaise involved. That just didn't sound good. So I chose pineapple and they were a hit!
#MeatlessMonday
Ingredients
1 dozen hard boiled eggs
3/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained of any excess liquid
1/8-1/4 cup Beaver Valley Sweet Honey Mustard
1 Tablespoon Parsley
Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 kiwi sliced, then each slice cut into fourths

Directions
Slice the eggs in half and scoop out the yolks into a bowl. Add the pineapple, mustard, parsley and pepper. Mix well adding additional mustard to bring it to your desired consistency. I used not quite a 1/4 cup. I don't like mine too liquidy if that makes sense.

Using a spoon or in my case, a melon baller, scoop equal amounts of the mix into the egg. Garnish with more parsley if you prefer. Place a little slice of kiwi into each egg for decoration. 

#MeatlessMonday
I also have a Pampered Chef Chillzane Platter with the egg tray that can be taken out and frozen since it's filled with a gel that will stay cold for hours. I've had mine for years and it is perfect for an outdoor event! Too bad it's been discontinued! Boo!

What was the verdict on Pineapple Deviled Eggs? They went fast! Hubby made sure he got a few before the others did but they were gone within 30 minutes. I love the crunch of the pineapple among the smooth egg yolk mix. And the kiwi with it? Also good and also decorative!

Here we are below. The party was fabulous! Great food, great wine and most of all, great friends!
#MeatlessMonday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews