Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Potato Casserole

Cheesy Potatoes
Last night, I needed a side dish and was thinking potatoes would be good with an Italian sausage and carrots. So, here is a cheesy potato dish that I threw together that is sure to please everyone.

Here are the ingredients I used:

4 medium russet potatoes, sliced
1 1/2 cup 1% milk
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 strips of bacon, cooked crisp
1/2 of Costco ham steak 
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 green onions, chopped
Mrs. Dash Steak seasoning
2 cloves garlic, chopped tiny
First, I sliced my potatoes thin using a Pampered Chef Mandolin. I like my potatoes evenly sliced and on the thin side. And I like them with the skin still on. 

Then I chopped the bacon, diced the ham, chopped the onions and set it aside. In a 2 qt saucepan, I sauteed the chopped garlic in just a pat of butter till the aroma filled the air. I added the milk, sour cream and slowly added the cheddar and parmesan. I stirred it until it was all melted and slightly thick. You can add more milk if you want the sauce thinner.
Now it's time to assemble the dish. I used a round casserole dish and sprayed it with butter flavor PAM cooking spray to avoid that icky sticky mess. I layered the bottom with 1/4 of the potato slices, sprinkled 1/2 the chopped ham and 1/4 of the onion on it, then scooped 1/4 of the cheese sauce on it. I sprinkled it with a bit of the panko and Mrs. Dash. Next was another layer of potato slices, then on top of that I put 1/2 the chopped bacon and another 1/4 of the onion then covered it with 1/4 of the sauce and the seasoning and panko. The next two layers are a repeat of the previous two. When done, sprinkle some panko on top so it has that nice crispy top.


Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes depending on how tender you like your potato slices. nd depending on your oven temp. This was a very good dish. I loved the hint of garlic mixed with the parmesan and cheddar. The green onion gives it flavor without being overbearing. My husband ate it up. 

And ate more right out of the dish

4 comments:

  1. Those look so good but would kill my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used fat free sour cream and 1% milk.... but the cheese was the full deal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Potatoes, Cheese and ham...what's better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, it's comfort food at it's finest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews