Thursday, February 28, 2013

Easy Weeknight Chicken Enchiladas

Easy Baked Chicken, Easy Enchilada
Enchiladas are one of my favorite meals to make. Whether it is chicken, pork, shrimp or crab, they can be quickly made, quickly assembled and full of flavor and spice. This recipe is one I put together on the fly last week. I had a craving for Mexican food and used what I had in the fridge and pantry to make busy weeknight dinner.

Chicken Enchilada Ingredients - Serves 6

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces.
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 - 8 oz can enchilada sauce
2 roma tomatoes
Dash of Chalula hot sauce
6 - 8" whole wheat flour tortillas
Half cup of shredded cheddar cheese, divided.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

When dicing the onion, I find this efficient little trick works every time. Slice the onion in half. Then slice lengthwise but not cutting all the way to the end. Then, slice across the first row and you have nicely diced onion as the picture shows below.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook until onions are translucent. Add the chicken and cook through. Add the enchilada sauce and and Chalula then simmer 15 minutes. On a side note, I bought Hytop enchilada sauce since it was less expensive and we try to save money any where we can at the grocery store. The Hytop sauce did not give me the desired flavor so I chopped up two roma tomatoes and added it to the skillet along with the sauce. This toned down the intense flavor of the sauce and the tomatoes were a nice addition too. I probably won't buy Hytop again.  
Put a little sauce at the bottom of your glass baking dish. Take 1/8 of the mixture and add it to a flour tortilla. Sprinkle a little cheese then roll it up and place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas. Add some sauce to the top of the enchiladas as well as 1/4 cup of the cheese.

Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. These turned out very good. The nuttiness of the wheat tortilla complimented the Mexican flavors and put a healthy twist on a sometimes not so healthy meal.

Try these some weeknight and tell me what you think!

For complete nutrition information, click the Magic button 

9 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This is one I am definitely trying! Hopped over from the Tasty Tuesday hop at 33 Shades of Green!

    Julia @ Mom on the Run x2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hopping over. Love Tasty Tuesday. You have some great recipe links!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning,
    Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a lovely week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have a great week as well

      Lori

      Delete
  3. We love enchiladas. Yours look scrumptious. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. Enchiladas are one of my favorites too

      Delete
  4. Ooh I'm so happy you posted this at my link party! I love enchiladas but I need to use easy recipes. I'm adding this to my recipe party, and I pinned it as well :)

    -Angie
    www.easylivingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome. Happy Tuesday!! I liked up yesterday. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews