Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ugly But Delicious St. Patricks Cupcakes

Thin Mint, Girl Scout Cookie Cupcakes
As you readers know, I cook mostly main dishes, sides and appetizers. I think I've just posted one dessert, my Muffin Tin Apple Pies. Since I got married in 2011, I've tried more desserts and sweets since my hubby has a sweet tooth the size of Manhattan.  This being said, I've ventured into the world of baking. I'll say ventured since I have yet to master this skill. 

With St. Patrick's day coming, I decided cupcakes were in order. And not just cupcakes. Cupcakes with mint and the traditional green frosting.  As you can see above, they did not turn out to be the Pinterest masterpieces I intended. Instead, I overfilled the cupcake tin and my frosting fell flat. But...... they turned out to be very moist, delicious and hubby loved them. So instead of calling them "St. Patrick's Cupcakes" they are now known in my house as a "delicious disaster."

Minty St. Patrick's Cupcakes

(makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes)
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
1 sleeve Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, chopped coarsely
1 cup boiling water
Directions-
Line muffin tin with paper liners. I found cute green ones but they don't show well with chocolate batter. Lesson #1 learned.  Heat oven to 350*F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Can't go wrong there!
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for about a minute.
Add Girl Scout cookies. Leave any powdery parts for sprinkling on top of the frosting. This may have been the key to the fail. 
Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.  I thought I did this right, but I know I overfilled them since they looked like a nuclear mushroom cloud when done. 

It looks like I did them right.....
Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes. Do the toothpick test then cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
This recipe originally came from Hershey's a long time ago. And they are moist chocolatey goodness. The good part is that after I took the edges off and placed them on the cupcake, the frosting covered the, well, errors. That being said, Hubby still scarfed them down like he'd never seen a cupcake before so I guess I'm off to a good start.

For complete nutrition information, click the Magic button below


Featured on Mum's Make Lists Cutest Cupcakes post. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the thin mint addition to your cupcakes. Thanks so much for sharing them with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Thin Mints should go with everything! My annual guilty pleasure. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Look so yummy - I've featured these in my
    Cutest Cup Cakes round up, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining us at Saturday Dishes, Pinned to Saturday Dishes board ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews