Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Six Sisters Sweet & Sour Chicken with a Lori twist

Baked Chicken, Sweet and Sour, Six Sisters Recipe
 
Asian cooking has always been a challenge for me. Their sauces are so different and using just the wrong ingredient or combination of ingredients can send your taste buds packing. I think cooking a sweet & sour dish can be the most difficult especially for me since I am so picky about my sweet and sour. Some recipes turn out rather bland and with a consistency of vaseline while others are too sweet or too sour. What to do?
 
I recently attended the Build Your Blog Conference right here in Salt Lake hosted by the wonderful ladies of  Six Sisters Stuff. While I was there, I purchased their brand new cookbook. There are so many recipes, craft ideas and more throughout the pages of their book that you can sit down for hours and read. I found this  Baked Sweet & Sour Recipe and it sounded like it would be just what I wanted!!  I also  "Lorified" it with some peppers and pineapple to give it a little extra.

Ingredients:


Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt


My Twist
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 green pepper, chopped into half inch squares
1/2 red pepper, chopped into half inch squares
1/4 cup pineapple juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Place cornstarch and beaten eggs in separate bowls. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. I used olive oil in place of the canola since that is all I had at the moment.




Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, ketchup, vinegars, soy sauce, pineapple juice and garlic salt.
 
Now that's what I call a sweet and sour! By coating the chicken in the egg and cornstarch, it gave the outside a nice crunch and kept the inside moist. Additionally, it did not have that excess breading you can get with sweet and sour dishes. It's nice to be able to taste the chicken and not the bread!

And the sauce.. what can I say? The texture was perfect and it wasn't thick and goopy. I loved adding the pineapple juice since I like mine more sweet then sour. The veggies were a nice compliment as well. Hubby loved it as well and said I can cook this any time I want.

Thanks to the Six Sisters for creating this tasty Asian dish! I can't wait to try another recipe from your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews