Monday, March 4, 2013

Leftover Potato "semi epic fail"

I could also easily title this post "what NOT to do with leftover potatoes" since there were errors made here, but I won't. It would not be a title that would have you clicking all over the site would it?  In any case, here is what I did one day last week when I had leftover sliced potato after a dinner of scalloped potatoes.
I was watching Live Well Network (my new favorite guilty pleasure), one day and a show came on where a lady was making her own potato chips. I thought "I can do that!"  And since I had some slices sitting in the fridge, the opportunity was available right now.
 
So, I heated up some olive oil in a deep skillet until water bounced off the top. Then I slipped in a few slices at a time and cooked them. And cooked them. And cooked them some more.
Since the slices were rather thick, they took awhile to cook and when  I thought the middle was nice and crispy I removed them from the oil and set them on a paper towel. But, the outside was burned. Or blackened..... or should I spice them up and call them Cajun?
My "chips" (and I do use that term loosely) did not turn out as they did on TV. In fact, they weren't really even close. Rather then being the crisp light airy chips I saw on TV, they were more like chewy rubber soles with little flavor. Hubby said they were OK, but overdone. I think he was just being nice.

What did I learn here?

 
Homemade chips should be light in color. Error #1.
They should also be thin. Error #2.
They should also be crispy rather then have the consistency of a doggy chew toy. Error #3.
 
I doubt this will go down in the history books as a culinary creation. Probably more a culinary disaster. When I get this recipe right, I'll post it. Until then, it's back to the drawing board.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews