Sunday, May 19, 2013

Banana Buckwheat Pancakes

Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
I'm always looking for good recipes for pancakes since hubby loves pancakes and I love fruit. I've always said why not combine fruit into my pancake recipes and have the best of both worlds? Since I took a grains and flours class last summer, I've tried incorporating buckwheat flour into my regular recipes for breads, cupcakes and pancakes. Buckwheat is a wonderful substitute for all-purpose flour in my recipes and it's better for you too. For today's pancakes, I added bananas and the result was a delicious pancake that was a big hit at my house. 
buckwheat banana pancakes
Ingredients
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup 1% milk
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 banana, sliced thin, then in half to form half moon shapes
a little butter, as needed to prepare the pan

For nutrition information, click the magic button  

Directions
In a large bowl, combine buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (if you choose to use). Whisk these dry ingredients together.
Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
One at a time, add the egg, milk and oil to the dry mix, blending well after each addition. Add the sliced banana and stir together. 


Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the small amount of butter and after the butter melts, pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter for each pancake into the greased skillet. 

Banana Buckwheat Pancakes

Cook each pancake for 1-2 minutes, or until the edges look brown and bubbles break the surface. I find buckwheat pancake batter to be thinner then regular flour batter, so don't be surprised if your pancake is thinner then what you are used to.  Flip the pancakes and cook on other side for about a minute, or until cooked through. Serve immediately.

I served mine with more sliced banana and a couple of strips of bacon. Hubby just has to have bacon with breakfast. These pancakes were very good and the chunks of banana made each bite just heavenly! You would never realize this was not made with regular flour, with the exception that they are thinner. But no worries... they are just as good and your family will absolutely love this pancake recipe!

Featured on Miz Helen's Country Cottage on Fill Your Plate Thursday Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

T-Fal Giant Pancake Pan (Google Affiliate Ad)
Chef Buddy Pancake Batter Dispenser (Google Affiliate Ad)
Vosges Bacon Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix (Google Affiliate Ad)

4 comments:

  1. Lori, thanks for linking in to carole's chatter. I have moved this link over to Food on Friday: Breakfast dishes for you and pinned it there. I have now signed up to follow you too. It would be great if you followed Carole's chatter as well. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Buckwheat and these cakes will be delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews