Thursday, May 24, 2012

Skillet Pumpkin Sauce Review



A few months back, I had the opportunity to review Skillet Bacon Jam. I loved the flavor and the variety of uses for it. I used it mostly as an ingredient in my grilled burgers, but the recipe I included in my review was for a delicious crusted salmon.

Now I have the pleasure of working with Skillet again and reviewing their Pumpkin Sauce. It comes in three flavors and I chose Chipotle since I'm a big fan of food with a kick.
Skillet Street Food
From their Website: 

Skillet Pumpkin Sauce comes in three varieties: Thai Coconut, Chipotle and Apple Vinegar Brown Sugar.
Skillet Pumpkin Sauce is the newest addition to the Skillet line. Our pumpkin ketchups have all the same condiment appeal as regular ketchup but with a unique flavor and a great nutritional profile that comes from the naturally occurring vitamins and minerals in pumpkin.

Southwest meets pumpkin in our Chipotle flavor! The deep smoky chipotle flavor, coupled with aromatic spices, delivered on the rich base of pumpkin. Use it with home-made tortillas, or with traditional French fries. Add it to your super-secret taco recipe. Or marinate a flank steak with it for the barbeque.

Our Thai Coconut is filled with a rich coconut flavor, Asian spices and curry, and – of course – pumpkin, the Thai Coconut flavor goes in a new direction. It terrific as a dipping sauce with Vietnamese spring rolls or as a flavor base for a stir fry with your favorite veggies.

The Brown Sugar and Vinegar flavor does a number on your head and your mouth. At first taste, you want to say “it tastes like a yummy ketchup.” But then you get the spicy pumpkin flavor and all you can say is “wow!” Try it on a grilled Turkey-and-Gruyere Panini or add some cream and vegetable stock to make a fabulous sauce for butternut squash ravioli.

My Thoughts
I chose the Skillet Chipotle flavor. 
The description suggests using it with steak or tacos however  I was planning on making pork chops tonight and decided to use the Pumpkin sauce as a marinate. I'm such a culinary rebel! The color is a chocolate brown and the consistency is smooth and creamy with a texture similar to pumpkin pie filling. I had a taste of it and the chipotle is not strong, but just compliments the sweetness of the pumpkin perfectly. 
I marinated my chops in the pumpkin sauce and grilled them on the barbecue. They were thick chops so I cooked them on a medium to high heat and I was sure to give each side a quarter turn to get those desirable grill marks. Steven Reichlan of PBS's BBQ-U would be so proud!

It was perfect paired with corn on the cob and some pasta salad. I grilled the corn on the barbecue also wrapped in foil and seasoned with Country Crock butter and Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning.

You can view more recipes on Skillet's recipe page and even add your own. Additionally, if you are in the Seattle area, they have their own diner. I checked out the menu.... YUM! Overall, my opinion of Skillet is very positive and I love them more and more as I try their food. Run, don't walk, to their website and purchase yours now.


For more information you can email Skillet at eat@skilletstreetfood.com

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews