Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Schnitzel and Two De-Lish Sides


I've been to Germany a few times and my favorite meal there is Schnitzel. I make sure I eat it several times while there and have not been disappointed. I also just LOVE red cabbage. I've made the cabbage before, but this was one of my first (and certainly not my last) attempts at German Schnitzel. Pictured below is the final result (not the best presentation, but it sure looks tasty). Very very good!
Pork Schnitzel

For the Schnitzel

4 pieces pork tenderloin (if it a thick boneless pork chop, butterfly it)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
Olive Oil
Lemon Wedge

Pound the pork tenderloin until thin. Dredge the pieces it in a mix of flour and black pepper, then dip it into a mix of egg and milk, then dip it in a mix of breadcrumbs (or panko) and paprika. Fry in oil about 3-5 mins per side.

To make the sauce, remove the pork from the pan then add 1 cup sour cream, a clove of chopped garlic and a 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pan scraping any pork from the bottom. I also use a lemon wedge squirted on the pork for extra flavor.

For the Potatoes

2 russet potatoes sliced thin
1/2 cup of cheddar (or your favorite cheese), shredded
1/2 yellow onion sliced into rings
1/4 cup of sour cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

 Alternate layers of Potato, cheese & sour cream and onion in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 30 mins at 375. The cooking time depens on how big your casserole is and oven temperatures vary.  My recipe is for just me and my husband but you can double it if you're serving more.

For the Red Cabbage (blaukraut)


1 jar of pickled red cabbage (or a head of fresh cooked down)
2 fuji apples, chopped
1/4-1/2 Yellow onion, chopped
A few cloves
1 tsp Allspice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar.

 Mix all ingredients into a saucepan, bring to a boil then simmer 15/20 minutes. Cooks up fast and easy.

6 comments:

  1. I know you posted this a long time ago but I just found it on a linky party. I'm so glad you did! I lived in Germany for a while and have been looking for a good recipe for schnitzel ever since I got home....I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I travelled through Europe quite a bit and spent a lot of time in Germany. My favorite schnitzel was from a restaurant in a tiny town outside Salzburg, Austria. I've been trying to duplicate that ever since. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. I like the addition of the apples to the cabbage. I love German food myself and I don't cook it often enough. Thanks for reminding me and sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. Best wishes for tasty dishes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love schnitzel too and I've never made it...pinning thank you for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing at A Peek Into My Paradise TGIF Link Party! I can't wait to see what you link up next week! I hope to see you at the (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/
    Have a terrific week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews