Saturday, February 23, 2013

Muffin Tin Apple Pies

Baking with a muffin tin, apple pie recipe,
Muffin Tin cooking is so easy and is an up and coming method of cooking just about anything from mini quiches to desserts. I also love the fact that it's an easy way to control portion control and also a good way to make things if you have picky eaters in your family.

I had a bunch of apples and had a craving for pie. But, I did not want to make a large pie and also wanted to make something that I could take on-the-go.
This recipe is fairly easy too and does not contain too many ingredients either. Rather then make my own crust, I purchased a tube of Great Value 9" pie crust. It comes with two crusts that I just rolled out to make my crust a bit thinner. 

Apple Pie Filling Ingredients. Yield 8

3 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 Tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
juice of 1/2 lemon

Mix the filling ingredients together in a large bowl being sure to coat all the apple cubes.
Roll out the pie crust and cut in 16 circles to fit a medium muffin pan. Press 8 of the crusts into the pan leaving a lip. Place the mixture into the cups then cover with the remaining 8 circles. 
Press the edges together to seal the crust. I personally have a hard time with this as I have french tips and sometimes leave little dents in the crust. Not very pretty but it does not affect the taste at all.  Be sure to cut a little slit on the top of each pie. 
Bake in the oven according to the pie crust package directions, in this case my little pies baked for 35 minutes at 425 degrees. When I had about 10 minutes left. I gave the top a coating of brown sugar and butter mix to add just a bit more sweetness to it. That was my little addition for hubby who has a major sweet tooth. 

These came out delicious and not overly sweet. They also had a fresh taste and they were not heavy as some apple pies can be. I used my melon baller to put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, dusted them with cinnamon and it was fantastic! Perfect portion with just the right amount of sweet and tart. 

For complete nutrition information, click the Magic button  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews