Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cheesy Chicken & Bow Tie Pasta Casserole

Chicken Casserole with Pasta
Well, spring sprung and we had beautiful weather to grill outdoors, then Mother Nature decided to shake things up and give us snow. In fact, it's snowing outside while I'm typing this. Winter weather also screams "soup" and "casserole" so I went back to my winter culinary skills and put together a casserole that was colorful, flavorful and kid friendly. OK, maybe not with broccoli in it, but you get the picture.

INGREDIENTS: 
1 1/2 cups tri-color bow tie pasta
Salt and pepper
4 slices bacon
2 stalks green onion, sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons parsley
1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup 1% milk
3 Tablespoons panko
 
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
 
Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add pasta and cook until just shy of al dente. Rinse, drain and set aside.
In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to drain off any excess grease. Remove all but 1 Tablespoon of bacon fat from pan and discard. Since I used a meaty bacon with little fat, there was maybe a teaspoon left when I was done cooking the slices.
 
Add onions, garlic, parsley and Mrs. Dash and cook until onions are tender and garlic is fragrant.  Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the middle. Add flour and stir until it has coated the mixture. Add the broccoli and cook until coated.
Add the cooked pasta and slowly add the cheese. Stir until melted. Add the milk and stir until blended and the mix thickens.

Pour mixture into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle top with panko.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until mixture is bubbly. Turn the oven to broil and broil on high for an additional 3 minutes until the panko is golden.
Hubby's response to this one? "You can make this any time you want to." It was a huge hit for him with the bacon flavor combined with moist juicy chicken and of course who doesn't like ooey gooey melty cheese? I thought it was amazing and with the tri-color bow tie and broccoli, it was also as pleasing to the eye as it was to the palette.

For nutrition information, click the Magic button below
 


7 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely and springy. I have been in the mood for pasta lately. I am pinning this so I remember to make it for dinner some time this week. I was happy to see this over at Every Day Mom's Meals. I hope you will come and share at my party which opens tomorrow morning: What'd You Do This Weekend @http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog

    Best wishes! Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks yummy. One question, though: when do I cook the chicken? Thanks so much, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, thank's for noticing that I left out one key step, lol. I have updated the recipe. Thanks again!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lori. Sorry, but I just can't help myself. Blame a Catholic school education, where the importance of following directions was drilled into us, and being a former newspaper copy editor. Can't shake either of them!

      Delete
  3. Lori, this looks so good for supper. I love pasta, but try not to make it all the time or I'd be a blimp. Thank you for sharing a great recipe.
    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-chicken-ranch-a-la-pan-crepe/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how simple and colorful this is. My kids would probably pick out the broccoli, but love everything else about this dish. Thank you for bringing it to Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and healthy!! Thank you for linking up at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase!

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/

    Marti

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews