Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cheesy Millet Cakes

Millet Recipes
I had not really heard of millet until I took a grains class last spring. In the class, our instructor talked about many relatively unknown grains that you wouldn't not usually find on the shelves of your local Wal-Mart.  What is Millet you ask? Millet is an ancient seed, originating from Africa and northern China, and it remains a staple in the diets of about a third of the world's population. It has a mild corn and nutty flavor and is naturally gluten-free. With all the concern about gluten in our diets, this is one whole grain you don't need to worry about. The picture below is a cup of millet and it's small size cooks quickly. I know it looks somewhat like bird seed, but trust me. It doesn't taste like it. 
Millet Recipe
I've used this recipe for rice cakes in the past and was looking to add this to my increasing amount of recipes for quinoa, but decided to give millet a try. Although the texture is different, the taste is just as good. 

Ingredients
1 cup dry millet
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, grated
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large clove garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

For complete nutrition information, click the magic button  

Directions
To cook the millet, bring the two cups of chicken broth to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan (you can use water if you wish) then add the millet. Bring back to a boil then set it on simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and place it in a mixing bowl. 

Add the cheeses, garlic and parsley and mix together well. The cheese should be slightly melted at this point. 
Millet Recipes
Form the millet mix into hockey puck sized patties by rolling them in your hands then flattening them out a bit. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, place the olive oil and heat until a drop of water can bounce off it. 
Millet Recipes
Cook the patties over medium to medium-high heat until golden brown, 5-8 minutes a side. Flip them at least once during the process. I like mine lightly golden, but you may like yours a bit darker and crispier, it's up to you. Serve immediately. 
Millet Recipes
These wonderfully nutty little patties were an excellent side dish for the stuffed pork chops I made last week. They are cheesy but not greasy and the unique texture really added to the experience.  I really loved how these turned out and am looking forward to making them again.
Millet Recipes

Featured at the Law Student's Cookbook June Pantry Party

Bobs Red Mill 19445 Millet Flo (Google Affiliate Ad)
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel Saute Pan, 6 qt. (Google Affiliate Ad)

4 comments:

  1. My dad used to cook millet for breakfast for us sometimes, and I have to be honest, I didn't care for it much as a kid. But then, he didn't cook it with chicken stock, cheese or other tasty things either ;) I love the sound of these cakes and what a delicious side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love millet and have never made pancakes with cheese. Pinning thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millet is considered to be an ancient grain and is a great change from the typical starches used in a meal (potatoes, rice, pasta, etc). I'm pretty sure that I would like these cold/room temperature so they will be useful as a grab-and-go breakfast or something to take with me. I will try baking them and after I get the hang of them I will try adding sauteed onions, fresh parsley, etc to make them cover more food groups. What a great idea! Must check if I have millet on hand, if not ... maybe quinoa (another ancient grain)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how very interesting! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews