Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Avocado Kiwi Ice Cream with Caramel Swirl

This is month two for our Crazy Ingredient Challenge. The challenge is to come up with a recipe using two very unique ingredients not usually found together. Last month it was chocolate and cauliflower. This month: avocado and caramel.
Ice Cream Recipe
Wow…. This one really presented quite a challenge. I love avocado and put it in all my salads, top my burgers with it and can make a mean guacamole. I don’t eat much caramel in any variety so this one was a head scratcher. I told hubby about the challenge and his response “You can have it.” You see, he dislikes avocado in anything but guacamole. Well making a caramel guacamole that he “might” eat did not sound good to me, so I tried something hubby usually can’t resist: Ice Cream. I had just purchased a KitchenAid stand mixer and an ice cream attachment so this was the perfect opportunity to use it for the first time.
 
He was half intrigued and said he was willing to try it. Adding the sweetness of kiwi to the ice cream and marbling the caramel in it, I created a unique ice cream with creamy, sweet flavors all throughout. I substituted 1% milk for the whole milk and whipping cream for the heavy cream to lighten it up just a bit.
Adapted from Alton Browns Avocado Ice Cream recipe.
 
Ingredients
3 ripe avocados
2 kiwi’s, peeled
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup Sugar
Hershey’s Caramel topping

Directions
Blend the avocados, kiwis, lemon juice, sugar and milk in the food processor until blended smooth. 
Ice Cream Recipe
Remove and place in a bowl. Stir in the cream. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
Ice Cream Recipe
Once chilled, churn the avocado mix in your ice cream maker for 7-10 minutes according to manufacturer’s directions. 
Ice Cream Recipe
Remove from the maker and put into a freezer dish. Swirl the caramel into the ice cream so it has “ribbons” of caramel throughout. 
Ice Cream Recipe
You can use as little or as much as you like. I didn’t note a measurement here since some of us like desserts sweeter then others. Cover the bowl and freeze for at least 5 hours. For soft ice cream, serve immediately.  Serve with a sliced kiwi as a garnish and more caramel!
Ice Cream Recipe
Incredible ice cream!  To give a quote from my co-worker and good friend Penny "I would buy this at the store!"  Hubby even said it was OK, which is HUGE since he's not an avocado fan. I think the combo of avocado and caramel turned out really, really good. I would so make this again!!

If you want to get in on the Crazy Ingredient action, click the graphic below to sign up!
HunngryLittleGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews