Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chicken & Potatoes Foil Packs on the Grill

Chicken Recipe
Here we are with record 100+ degree temps for the last three days. The weather folks on our local channel called it a trifecta of 105 degree days, or a hat trick or a trio. Whatever way you want to call it, it is still HOT. It's the go outside mid-day and melt type of hot. YOWZA!

I hate turning on the oven when it gets this hot. It just heats up the house so quickly the air conditioner cannot always catch up. So outside we headed to grill up some dinner. This recipe was adapted from PaleOMG spanish chicken recipe. I did not have the cauliflower she used, but there were baby red potatoes in the fridge so I made the variation and it was a great switch.

Ingredients
10 baby red potatoes, quartered
1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup canned coconut milk
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 clove garlic, chopped
8 chicken drummettes
handful of green olives, sliced
2 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

For nutrition information, click the magic button  

Place the potatoes in a microwave safe dish with 1/4-1/2 inch of water. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. This will pre-cook the potatoes a bit so they start out half way there.

Place the potatoes and mushrooms into a mixing bowl and add the broth, coconut milk, oregano, paprika and garlic. Stir to coat.
Take a long sheet of heavy duty aluminium foil and form it into a bowl by curling up the edges. Place your potato and mushroom mix to the foil. Be sure to include the juice from the broth and milk. You'll need this in order to prevent the potatoes from burning and sticking to the foil.
Chicken Recipes
Place the chicken on top of the potatoes and sprinkle with the green onion. As you can see, I created two chicken and potato pouches, rather then one.
This recipe calls for olives and my hubby HATES olives. I won't write down his "official name" for what he calls those delicious green gems, but I think you get the picture. I added the green olives to my pouch before I sealed it.
Pull out another piece of foil, big enough to cover your foil bowl(s), and place on top and pinch the edges together to seal. Now you have a nice pouch to steam the food in.

Place on the grill for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Because I had two smaller pouches, I grilled mine for 30 minutes. Doesn't this look good?
What resulted was tender, juicy chicken and soft flavor filled potatoes. Just pop it out of the foil and serve with a side salad for a simple summer dinner. The best part? Little to no clean up!!!  Just put the foil in the recyclers and you are done. And the grill stays clean too!
Featured on Hun, What's for Dinner? Simple Supper Tuesday July 15, 2013

14 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! Thanks for sharing your technique. We did this many years ago, and I'd forgotten about it. I love the easy clean-up as well as the flavor! It's nice to have each person get what they want, also (like no green olives) ;-). Found you at One Sharendipity Place.
    His blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great too! I'm so glad you came to the party! I can't wait to try this!! Thanks so much for linking up with us this weekend at One Sharendipity Place!

    sue @ TheT2Women.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. I would be honored if you join us! Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy I found your linky a few weeks back. Love your blog!!

      Thanks for visiting and have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Great idea, thanks for sharing! I hate heating up the oven too, so I'm going to have to try some of these foil packs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! We always make foil packet potatoes, but I never thought of adding chicken to them and making it a complete meal. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love absolutely any reason to use the grill and these look delicious!!! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm your mewest follower and would love for you to check out my blog http://hoybycrafts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newest follower here on FB & Pinterest! Have a great day!

      Lori

      Delete
  7. Love this idea!
    Following you on GFC and Pinterest from "Freedom Fridays"! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm i hear with you regards to turning on the oven in the heat! Manchester's having its hottest summer for 20 years this year, with temperatures in the high 70s. it NEVER gets this warm in England! & no one has air conditioning but maximum summer temps are usually 55, maybe 60 on a good day. and turning on the oven just makes everything a million times worse! lol, so i'm definitely planning on trying this before the rain comes back! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am co-hosting this week on the My Favorite Posts Showoff Weekend Blog Party. Thanks for connecting up!

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party over at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    Have a terrific week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love red potatoes! Great idea to head to the grill. Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE tin foil dinners... fun spin! I'm so glad you came to share at Super Saturday Show & Tell last week... this week I'm co-hosting a HUGE bash with 2 other bloggers! Come on over http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com and share again! xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews